Friday, April 22, 2011

Sharing the Good

Did you ever come across a product that was so good you just had to share it with anyone who would listen (or in my case, anyone willing to read it)?  Well, I came across one tonight and while I am not receiving any kind of monetary reward from the company for endorsing this product, I just have to share it... it is a cooking product.

First, let me say that while I CAN cook, and at times, I can be a REALLY GOOD cook, I just prefer not to cook.  Unfortunately (in my case), I do cook, and I cook more often that I'd like too.  Why?  Because CT LOVES to take leftovers to work for lunch, and frankly, our dinner leftovers are much healthier and less expensive than any kind of lunch he would find in downtown Chicago.  I appreciate that one on both counts.

So, tonight was Salmon (it is Good Friday for us Cat'lics, after all).  There are a gazillion ways to prepare Salmon.  I do love Salmon on the grill with a little lemon and seasoning, but given the very cool temperatures with rain and thunderstorms all day today, grilling outside was not going to happen.  (Now that I think about it, we haven't even broken out the grill for the season!)  So, I turned to the next best thing:  McCormick's Recipe Inspirations. 


Have you seen these in the grocery store?  They are FABU!  These nifty little items provide you with the exact measurements of seasonings (for one dish), along with a few basic items you have a home, and turn a simple item (like Salmon) into a fancy restaurant-style dish just full of flavor.  More importantly, for me, a dish that is 'EASY-PEASY-LEMON-SQUEEZY" to make. (Ok, so I just used Ella's favorite quote to describe something that is easy.)  And, you don't have to spend a lot of money on full bottles of spices that you may only use once (particularly if you find out that you don't like the spice or the dish.) 

So, this particular McCormick's Recipe Inspiration kit called for 1/3 cup of honey and 2 tbls. of soy sauce (low sodium for us) along with the individual seasoning packets of sesame seeds, minced garlic, minced onion, ground ginger, and red pepper flake (which I only used 1/2 -- I don't care for a lot of spicy red pepper flake in my dishes.)  And Salmon, of course.  When mixed together, the result is a lovely glaze for the Salmon.  After baking at 375 for 20 minutes, well, the Salmon just melted like "buttah".  I threw together some frozen veggies and McCain's "Purely Potatoes" (which are nothing more than small golden potatoes - no seasoning, no extra fat - that come in a steamable/microwaveable bag), and voila - dinner was served!


I know that CT likes a dinner when he says, "Yep, this one is a keeper."  Tonight, I received such comment.  

McCormick's also makes a great Garlic Lime Chicken Fajitas kit and a Rosemary Roasted Chicken and Potato kit.  I love them both.  I haven't yet tried Apple & Sage Pork Chops or the Spanish Chicken Skillet, but those are next.

So, if you're looking for something easy to make for dinner, I recommend you try one of McCormick's Recipe Inspiration kits.  Bon Appetit!








 



1 comment:

  1. ohhh la la, I'll have to try that one!!! I've tried the Apple & Sage Pork Chops and it was great...the kids even liked it. Yummy

    I hate trying new things that don't work out! Spend all that time and no one likes it.

    Great tip!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you're thinking - feel free to leave me a comment!