Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Thanksgiving Week

Thanksgiving week.  Here we are. 


Lots to do this week, as CT and I prepare to host Thanksgiving Dinner for 12 of our immediate family members.  My thoughts of Christmas and all that goes along with that are on hold until Friday, as my focus is on Thanksgiving.  House needs to be cleaned, Thanksgiving linens washed and ironed (I hate the ironing part), tables set, last minute grocery shopping, food prepared, etc., etc., etc.  I've feel like I've turned in to a regular Martha Stewart.  Just yesterday I was surfing the internet finding different ways to fold dinner napkins!  Sheeeesh - HOW PATHETIC!  When did my life change from conference calls, and meetings, and projects, and deadlines, to how to fold a perfect dinner napkin?  Well, if I put any more time into thinking about this one, then I'll get really depressed.  So let's move on.

Without further ado, here is our Thanksgiving menu:

Roasted Turkey with Savory Herb Stuffing and Giblet Gravy
Cranberry Relish with Candied Lemon Zest
Butternut Squash Bisque with Candied Pecans
Mashed Potatoes with Condiment Bar of Sour Cream, Bacon Bits, and Butter
Sweet Potatoes
Green Beans
Baby Carrots in Dill Butter
Deviled Eggs
Potatoe and Whole Wheat Dinner Rolls
Pumpkin Cheesecake
Apple-Cranberry Cobbler
Pumpkin Pie
Chocolate Brownies
Wine (Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc, and a nice California Red)
Coffee - regular and decaf
Milk (for Katie & Ella)

So, that is our menu.  Very traditional but very yummy.  No Jell-O, though, and now I'm having second thoughts about Jell-O.  You see, we are a Jell-O family and we grew up on Jell-O.  We ALWAYS had some kind of Jell-O mold at every holiday meal or family party.  There is the ribbon jello with six or seven thin layers of different jellos, or the strawberry pretzel jello, or the lime jello with cottage cheese and pineapple (I think), or the ice cream jello.  And at Christmas, it is the white jello decorated with candied red and green cherries to look like pointsettias.  So, my mom called me last week and said, "Are you having a Jell-O?  Do you want me to make a Jell-O?"  My response was, "Nah, I really don't think we need a Jell-O."  So, no Jell-O this year. 

Anyway, we are looking forward to Thanksgiving, where we will gather and reflect and count all our blessings and be truly grateful and thankful for each other, the wonderful feast, and all that we have in this life.  Hope you have a Happy Thanksgiving!    

8 comments:

  1. Oh what a scrumptious list of goodies you have shared! I'm going to come eat at your house! LOL jk Wishing you and yours a wonderful Thanksgiving my friend. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. You had me at Pumpkin Cheesecake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please save me some baby carrots in dill butter. Oh, I love dill!

    ReplyDelete
  4. NO JELLO????????????????????
    WHAT?????????
    SERIOUSLY?????????
    LT, what am I going to do with you???? This borders on sacrilegious! I'm not sure I can enjoy my Thanksgiving dinner knowing your family is in this situation!
    Dearest Jello -- R.I.P.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No JELLO.... A Bembenek table is not complete without Jello... You have to have jello. Happy Turkey day! Enjoy your many blessings without the Jello.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, great. I KNEW we should have made a jello! DARN!!!

    Ah, well! Can't wait for tomorrow. Happy Thanksgiving, sister!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Post T-day comment.... OUR table had jello, but it wasn't put out until dessert. Go figure!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, I was missing our Jell-O yesterday. But gasp... put it out for dessert? I don't think so!!!!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you're thinking - feel free to leave me a comment!